Re: [NTLK] Spam?

From: <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 10:05:37 EDT

I'm sure this has happened to me a couple of times. I have a couple of Santa Claus email addresses and they have been picked up by spammers. I also have a Gmail address for my Nokia 770. This list, Vonage for voicemail and some personal notification emails (such as from my blog) are all that have this address. But I have gotten a couple of Spam Emails. I stopped using the local Free Net email service as they had a wide open SMTP server and were slowly being black listed by everyone. I still use them as a dial up portal though. So even as we create new email addresses and new methods of hiding our addresses spammers continue to get craftier also. I fanally gave up on keeping my comcast.net account secret. I just use a good spam filter. I found K-9 (No, I am not affliated with K-9 other than being a satisfied user.) to be excellent. It is 99% accurate after a month or so of learning. It is a learning filter. It marks spam so you can filter it using rules in your email client. And best of all, it is free!
Matt Howe
matthowe@comcast.net (desktop)
santamatt@gmail.com (Nokia 770)
SantaMatt.blogspot.com
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Grant Hutchinson wrote:

<snip>
Keep in mind that many spammers
simply compile enormous lists of canonicals (the unique name prefixing
the address) and domains, mashing all of the combinations together for
their mass mailings. It is possible absolutely possible to reconstruct
your email particular email from completely unrelated addresses
scoured from the interweb.
<snip>