Re: [NTLK] OT Palm Pre

From: John Chu <johnchu_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 04:51:40 EDT

> I wouldn't trade my iPhone for it. Of course, what everyone wants
> on the iPhone is a multi-tasking OS,

<pedantic>
iPhone already has a multi-tasking OS. Apps from Apple run in the
background all the time. (The iPod app is an egregious example.) What
everyone wants are 3rd party apps that run in the background.
</pedantic>

For me, the only times I care are when I'm running some sort of radio
app. (e.g., Pandora, Public Radio Tuner.) It'd be nice to do stuff
with your phone while listening to it as a radio the way you can while
you're listening to it as an iPod.

(Of course, if Apple goes there, they will have a UI issue to deal
with since hitting the button is both "task switch" and "gracefully
terminate program." i.e., AFAIK, the only way to quit a multi-tasking
app right now is to force quit. Apple won't be able to get away with
that if non-Apple apps run in the background.)

                                                john