[NTLK] Latest Lake Tahoe Hiking Newton Adventure

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 22:57:01 EDT

The full story with interactive links is also available on:
<http://www.flikcr.com/photos/raparker/3691354924/>

Upper Truckee Marsh (end of the trail)

or... Have you ever seen another Newton in the wild?

If you were hiking towards the beaches of South Lake Tahoe, Californa just before sunset, on evening ofJuly 4th, 2009... You may have inadvertently seen the elusive "Lake Tahoe Hiking Newton" scouting its way and then ultimately getting lost in the wilderness. Of course, I wasn't ever, truly "lost." And true, it wasn't exactly "the widerness." I knew exactly where I was and how I got there.

The problem, after analyzing it later, was a left (or... a right, depending on the direction you saw me heading, either way it was the wrong) turn about an 1/8th of a mile back. Uncle Rudy, "The Man with the glass eye" had long since turned back, knowing (full well) we had went the wrong way and this trail was leading us nowhere.

Me? I was content just shooting photographs in the meadow there. Or, as you see here, the Marsh. It tends to slow things down. The photography... not the marsh. Well, the marsh actually did slow things down. In fact, the journey came to a full stop.

I'm digressing? Aren't I?

Anyhow...

Here I am, at the end of the trail. I had given myself two hours to search out the locals pathway to the beach. The sun was going down and I was actually enjoying myself. Hint to those of you who have friends, who like odd photos: Don't worry, they won't feel offended if you go on ahead and leave them behind, alone... in the wilds. Just press on and allow them to pause,sit and shoot the meadow.

After returning to base camp "Heather" to reload (water, mosquito repellent, etc.) The goal was to meet up with Rudy, Heather and her friend (what's his name?)... And then, find the "walking bridge" over the creek and make it to the beach before the start of the fireworks show at 9:45 PM.

I never did make it. Uncle Rudy, my daughter, Heather and (what's his name?) went on ahead (without me) because I was running late. Dusk was settling in and twilight was upon me. If I didn't find that bridge before dark, I probably wouldn't make it.

Well, I never did make it... even with a Newton powered GPS and the a full set Google Maps Satellite images of the entire meadow, on my Star Trek phone. (So much for technology) You can listen to the two VoiceMail transcripts of my "FTRD - Failure To Reach Destination" message... it's almost entertaining, Uncle Rudy forgot to hang up is phone.

However, I did find another use for my Hiking Newton's green-glowing, night vision, Triple LED, reading lamp, though. I used it to illuminate the pathway under my feet. While I was trying to get out from a dense, creek-side, patch of vegetation and back on to the main trail. Under the cover of a moderately moon-lit (but, still dark) night.

RAParker
Explorer
Photographer
Newton user

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM