Re: [NTLK] [OT -- for sure] Spam?

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 21:54:02 EDT

On 18/7/09, Dan wrote:

>deleting old account address, but spammer does not delete it from their lists

I knew that but didn't know:

>email servers don't drop mail when it hits an unknown mail box [sl. edited]

Good to know. For some reason I had the impression if the address was
invalid the server rejected it. Perhaps because I get messages
telling me that when I send to an invalid address.

But I suppose in terms of internet traffic and the short length of
vast majority of spam, it wouldn't really save much to block receipt
if the server is always returning a message to the sender saying
invalid address. Once all the trouble of connecting servers happens I
suppose a few K more packets sent along the path isn't significant in
the big scheme. (Anyway, the header's usually much bigger than the
spam message (whenever I've looked).)

I presume spam's actual cost to the system is kept at a minimum
because email generally has lowest priority. While spam is a big
load, giving priority to web pages must greatly diminish its burden.

It seems if server admins care so little about spam it's not that big an issue.

>overall it means more mail in the Internet

I'm now pleased I've been lazy and have only changed an address once,
and more because I wanted a different handle. In meantime I
discovered I can manage spam easily and best by having it all
delivered to Eudora mailbox requiring just a few steps to delete 'em
all.

'nuf said?