Re: [NTLK] [OT] USPS

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 22:22:07 EDT

On 20/7/09, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

>hope [privitization] NEVER happens because then large rural areas
>[without] service...
>European first class postage about 50% higher than U.S...
>
>But how does any of this thread apply to the Newton?

Indeed! I changed subject accordingly.

--Maybe many NewtonTalkers are closeted Twitterers.--

Re: USPS I just want to add couple comments:

The reason first class mail costs less than a real market price is
bulk mail covers the bulk of USPS costs. Delivering all that paper
spam advertising subsidizes other postal services. And that's
undoubtedly why, at least in lawmakers' minds, USPS must have a
sanctioned monopoly. I wonder if there's less spam mail in Europe
making first class higher there.

Also, while it's not at all a fair comparison, it costs many times
more to send a letter size manilla envelope via UPS ground than First
Class (cross-country UPS delivery time slightly longer in my
experience). Not only does that give an indication how bulk mail
subsidizes first class, the fact one can blatantly violate USPS's
monopoly and send first class via UPS demonstrates it's not the first
class monopoly that matters, but the bulk mail one.

Happy posting!