Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 09:01:36 EDT

Hi David

[snip]
Well, I have no idea what DHCP is
[snip]

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network application protocol
used by devices (DHCP clients) to obtain configuration information for operation
in an Internet Protocol network. This protocol reduces system administration
workload, allowing devices to be added to the network with little or no manual
intervention.

When a DHCP-configured client (a computer or any other network-aware device)
connects to a network, the DHCP client sends a broadcast query requesting
necessary information from a DHCP server. The DHCP server manages a pool of IP
addresses and information about client configuration parameters such as default
gateway, domain name, the DNS servers, other servers such as time servers, and
so forth. On receiving a valid request, the server assigns the computer an IP
address, a lease (length of time the allocation is valid), and other IP
configuration parameters, such as the subnet mask and the default gateway. The
query is typically initiated immediately after booting, and must complete before
the client can initiate IP-based communication with other hosts. (Source:
Wikipedia)

[snip]
(other than that using the DHCP setting in Hiroshi's driver doesn't work),
[snip]

My Newton is set to work with DHCP, in "Internet Setup" and it works for me;
i.e. my Newton is assigned an IP address and gets accepted on the network.

Maybe your DHCP isn't working because of the issues raised? On my network every
network device has a different IP address allocated by DHCP (if you include
subnet mask, I think).

A subnetwork, or subnet, describes networked computers and devices that have a
common, designated IP address routing prefix.

Subnetting is used to break the network into smaller more efficient subnets to
prevent excessive rates of Ethernet packet collision in a large network. Such
subnets can be arranged hierarchically, with the organization's network address
space (see also Autonomous System) partitioned into a tree-like structure.
Routers are used to manage traffic and constitute borders between subnets.
(Source: Wikipedia)

I know you may feel this is risky to disturb your network configuration which
already works to an extent but you might like to try out what is being
suggested. There is nothing to lose as if it doesn't work you just put it back
to what it was.

HTH

Tony