Re: [NTLK] USB-Serial connection

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 15:56:12 EDT

Hi Tony

I have a cheap Profilic USB to serial lead that I used when I didn't
have a serial port. I dug it out to try it again and found it ok
(eventually) to connect to my eMate once I chose the correct com port in
'Settings' in Newton Connection Utilities. (In this case I needed to
choose Com port 6). I'm running a 2.5ghz Pentium 4, with XP.
After a few unsuccessful starts, it was successful in installing a few
large packages. Nothing else needed on the Newt side, only to choose
'Serial'.
When I tried to do a back up though, both the PC and eMate froze on
several occasions. As you and Phil have already mention you need at
least one instance of Slowdown.

Something else you might try (if you haven't already). Go to Control
Panel / System / Hardware then find the Device Manager tab. Find 'Ports'
then choose properties for the usb-serial port. Go to the port settings
tab and choose advanced, you can change something called transmit and
receive buffer rates. I found that by reducing these right down, the
connection was more reliable - but I don not know if technically this
was the correct thing to do?).

Hope this helps.

Andy