Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 04:27:03 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sat, 6/13/09, Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:

> Those earlier devices were nothing more than address books
> and calendars, with some notes ability.

Take a look at the specs for the EOs and the apps that were available for them:

http://www.utexas.edu/ftp/microlib/eo/html/EO440-880.html

The 440 and 880 were billed as "the industry's first fully integrated communications devices that combine the power of cellular phones, fax machines, and personal computers." Which sure sounds like a PDA to me.

Again, I'm not claiming that the 440 and 880 were anywhere near as good as the Newton. Merely that Apple was not the first to market with a device that someone in 2009 would look at say "Yes, that's a PDA."

>As such, it's hard to call them a personal digital _assistant_ in the same >vein as the Newton was.

Yes, I agree that early devices like the EO were nowhere near as advanced as the Newton was. But that doesn't change the fact that they are still considered PDAs and labeled as such.

Again, I'm not arguing that what Apple did with the PDA was not groundbreaking. Merely that they were not first to market with a PDA device and that honor lies with another company.

Best,

James Fraser