Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 17:55:37 EDT

I don't think that the camera drains as much battery as the GPS does...well, that is for my HTC Tilt running Windows Mobile. I used my Tilt, that has a 3mp camera built in, for a week in Hong Kong as my only camera last year. Heck, even taking a bunch of movies with the phone didn't drain the battery that much!
(you can see the pics here: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h48/ekummel/Hong%20Kong%201-2008/)
And I didn't notice any appreciable increase in battery drain. What does take up considerable battery is GPS. On a recent trip to the Outer Banks, I only got 4 hours out of my phone running Garmin on it...As a phone, I normally get 2 to 3 days of standby time...
And while I don't video chat with my cellphone alot, I have done it (the Tilt has built in Video Chat in certain AT&T markets...which I happen to be in) and you are right...not having a front facing camera, there is no way to see if you're in frame or not...my tilt doesn't have that little mirror on it either! I also have noticed that running Bluetooth *AND* data at the same time will drain the battery faster than expected. On a recent road trip with my TomTom One XL, it paired to my Tilt and proceeded to update it's self on a somewhat continuous basis (the neighborhoods in my area are in constant flux as builders plant new homes and shopping centers every few months requiring new roads and such...there certainly isn't a housing issue where I live...)
I had to plug the phone into the cigarette lighter to charge because it was draining so fast!
But I also the Tilt has a user replaceable battery, so I can afford to kill my battery without loosing my phone...All I have to do is pop in a new one at my local AT&T store and I'm good to go!
But for those who are not used to using a phone with voice, I hope your experience will be as good as mine is using my Windows Mobile devices...I've been using voice for the last 5 years now on three different devices and it's great! I especially love that the phone will announce important events...appointments, callers and emails with high priority! It's pretty cool when the phone just starts to talk and you can determine the importance of the announcement without ever having to look at the phone! I use my phone as an alarm clock and every morning after I hit "snooze" it will proceed to tell me my appointments and meetings and such for that day. Then it will recite the weather and any important news that may be happening...I never have to worry about traffic, so I don't have that option selected! And the best thing is that all this software was either free, or came with the Tilt...(except for the Garmin software...I paid $49 for it online)

Ed
web/gadget guru
By Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel winner (1918-1988)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."