Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Jun 09 2009 - 03:33:22 EDT

Hi Ed:

I think you might have missed some of what I said, that going from 3-5 MP can significantly hurt battery life. I don't know for certain if it will on the iPhone, because I don't have a 5 MP cameraed iPhone, since they don't make them. But I suspect, like with the Nokia N80, that it does adversely affect battery life. But your camera you refer to is 3 MP like the new iPhone's and not 5 MP... Also, given the fact that Apple did not build in a 5 MP camera, which they could have easily done, makes me think that it was mostly because of hits to battery life.

As for GPS, if you read Apple's documentation, the GPS chip is optimized in that it only turns on when needed, and shuts off right away when not needed to save on battery life.

All the best,

Ryan