Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Doug Denby <ddenby_at_rogers.com>
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 16:37:37 EDT

On 13-Jun-09, at 3:46 AM, Steven Scotten wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2009, at 11:55 PM, James Fraser wrote:
>
>> It's funny you should say that because, to the best of my knowledge,
>> Apple did not actually start the PDA product category. Sure,
>> Sculley coined the term, but Apple was not actually first-to-market
>> with a PDA device: the EO Communicator 440/880 was released in April
>> 1993, while the OMP didn't hit the market until August of that year.
>
> Isn't that a little like saying that Lewis and Clark weren't pioneers
> because Columbus got to America centuries earlier?

Alexander Mackenzie had already done what Lewis and Clark did,
reaching the Pacific overland in July 1793, well over a decade before
Lewis and Clark. He just wasn't American, or government sponsored.
Instead he was working for the Northwest Traders who were desperately
attempting to wrest control of the fur trade from the Hudson Bay
Company. An agreement in 1792, which Mackenzie was unaware of, as he
was busy exploring the west and the Rockies, ended the rivalry via
that great commercial technique of amalgamation or merger or whatever
you wish to call it.

Doug