Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 09:31:36 EDT

~~~ On 2009/06/17 11:30, Jon Glass at jonglass@usa.net wrote ~~~

> ... Well, I know people who see and
> use their iPhone as a serious tool, and I know they will be wanting
> the keyboard. But you don't really need to bother trying to get it.
> That's your issue.

Of course it's my issue! Duh! It's what I do. That's *why* I'm trying to
get this: understanding how people are thinking about this is the point for
me. I might learn something about a better way to work, or at least learn
something about how other people work. As it happens your explanation is
reasonably useful although I'm still waiting for the iPhone to show that it
can do the serious things I need as well as be nice-looking.

BTW I have no "problem" with my serious tools being nice-looking, that's
part of why I use Macs (and yes, I do find my Newton "attractive" -- and
Lady Pismo positively drop-dead gorgeous. If my Pismo were a woman I'd be
in mortal danger). ;-) But I do want my nice-looking things to be
seriously useful to me. Perhaps we could say that my "problem" is that so
far I see the iPhone as being more versatile in terms of its bells and
whistles than it is in terms of its serious uses, and I have yet to see that
its serious uses include many things that I want to do, the way I want to do
them. (Not as catchy I know, but I think it's a more accurate
representation of my thinking.)

Actually, Steve Scotten's explanation also goes a long way for me,
especially when he talks about not having a lot of distractions from
writing. That's exactly what I like about writing on my Newt and why, since
I got my first 2100, I do so little on my MacBook or even my beloved Lady
Pismo. On the Newt, when I write, all I'm doing is writing, without
distractions. It's like having a special room or place away from
everything. And the physical cloistering seems to trigger a sense of being
mentally cloistered, so I just zone in on what I'm writing. So I can see
how Steve would desire that when he writes. But given the way the iPhone is
made to do all the stuff with SMS and the web as well as phone stuff, I'd
have thought the iPhone is no better for isolation than any other computer.
But his goal makes sense to me.

So thanks Jon and Steve. I still don't completely see why the iPhone is the
way forward, but at least I have a better idea of what you're thinking about
and looking for.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl