Re: [NTLK] i-Poll

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 04:32:12 EDT

Hello,

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Stefan Thorsteinson <Stefan@TeamAircom.com> wrote:

> If it's a Newton and iPhone together Topic...bring it on.

To me, at least, the iPhone and Newton make a natural dual-topic of conversation insofar as the iPhone can be looked at in a sort of "what-if?" way in relation to the Newton.

Judging by some of the posts, I guess I'm not the only one frustrated/puzzled as the why the iPhone works the way it does in contrast to the Newton.

I believe that there were dark rumors (though I may have misheard) flying around to the effect that there was some sort of backroom deal The Steve worked out with Bill Gates that Microsoft would be handed the technology behind the Newton in exchange for either a boatload of cash and/or continued development for Microsoft Office (which helped to sell Macs at a time when Apple desperately needed to sell them).

If that was the case, (this is the part where you guys can affirm/contradict the above) I have to wonder if that is perhaps why the iPhone has taken the form it has: Apple is effectively trying to produce a product with one hand tied behind its back (i.e. it can't make full use of Newton technology in the iPhone without incurring the wrath of Microsoft).

Best,

James Fraser