Re: [NTLK] [Poll] Newton College Users

From: <rhonda_at_write-on.org>
Date: Sun Jun 21 2009 - 22:14:06 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:53:57 -0500, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> I recently took a Research Methods course that a newton would have been
> excellent for. I think bottom line: any course that mainly involves
> definitions, lists, process, and case studies. Not good for Physics or Math
> classes because writing formulas is too involved. Not good for History,
> which requires non-linear notetaking. Probably good for Geography,
> Pscychology, Sociology, and definitely for any language course that uses
> Latin letters. Indeed, the eMate has the best handling of accented
> characters I've ever experienced.

Actually, I've found that the newton is better for non-linear note
taking than paper - as others have mentioned, if you use the outline
view, you can insert bullet points wherever you like and make them as
long as you like.

I used my newton for three years in engineering classes, with equations
and diagrams and graphs all over the place. It worked like a champ.
Sketch mode for equations, drawing mode + sketch mode for diagrams,
interpreted text for most of the words, and ink text when variables and
special characters were needed in the flow of text. It took about two
weeks for the interpreter to build up enough engineering vocabulary to
be useful, and until then I had to use ink text and process it after
class. (Unfortunately, my user dictionary is full now.)

Got some amazed stares in a project class when the group said, oh no!
we need notes from one of last year's classes! Who still has those and
when can you bring them? - I pulled out my newton, called up the notes,
and had the answer they were looking for within a minute.

I exported the notes to RTF and I still have them on my computer
somewhere. Took them off the newton to free up some space on the cards.
I think I had a few megabytes of newton notes by the time I graduated.

-Rhonda