Re: [NTLK] Stories on Newton data longevity / backup

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 08:14:53 EDT

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Matt Howe<matthowe@comcast.net> wrote:
> How interesting. My oldest note is also from 1999. Back then I had a MP120
> 2.0

I didn't say it, but my Newton in 1999 was also a 120/ 2.0 Newton. My
first got stolen out of my shopping buggy, here in Krakow (I'm sure
they thought they were stealing a man bag with money, not a computer,
with nothing but a computer and package slip inside!). I replaced it
with another 120/2.0 Newton, but later upgraded it to a 130, and still
later, an upgraded 2000, and now, have my 2100, a 2000, a couple 120s
and one 130, and one of those Sharp Expert Pads, running NOS 1.1. ;-)

I think that, after my Newton got stolen, and I got the data restored,
I decided to export my older notes to my desktop, and wipe the soup
and start fresh. I was just glancing through my pre-1999 notes a few
weeks ago, so I still have them, just not on my Newton. ;-) I've
changed or upgraded my Newtons five times, and all my Names have made
the switch--though my transfer from NOS 1.3 was painful--I didn't
realize I needed to use NBU to make my backup, so I had to export them
from NCK, and re-import them to my NOS 2.0 system. But since then, I
just backed up, either to my computer or a card, and restored. This is
genuine data security (but make off-site backups in case of theft).
;-) My Palms nor Macs don't hold a candle to my Newtons for
painlessness in keeping data through the years. :-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland