Re: [NTLK] Stories on Newton data longevity / backup

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 04:26:28 EDT

How interesting. My oldest note is also from 1999. Back then I had a MP120
2.0 and thanks to the foreverness of Newton data I can still tell you the
combination to my locker at the YWCA. Yes, I said YWCA and no I am not a
cross dresser. They have family fitness plans there and my family had one
and I had a locker in the men's locker room. 14-0-6 was the combination. But
I have tons of notes. Using Sloup I would dump them off to text files. Some
would then become Outlook knots. Just recently I dumped them using my Newton
Dump utility and imported them into my Nokia. My back up strategy? Data is
MUCH more important than apps. Data gets backed up in multiple formats on
multiple platforms. Apps are just backed up on my PC.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Jon Glass wrote:
Snip>
This just happened to me Thursday! I found my Newton had come
unplugged and the battery dead, so I plugged it back in, and when it
booted, thought I would see how old the oldest note in my Notepad was
('99 for those curious).
<snip>