Re: [NTLK] Final solution

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 08:39:33 EST

How about an HTC Advantage with SPB mobile to overcome some of the UI
deficiencies of Windows Mobile? They say WM6.1 HWR is pretty good; and if you
like the Newton then the size can't be a criticism. There are few devices out
there with a screen size 5" or greater so the choices are limited; but then it
depends on what you do on your Newton. Battery life is pretty good too if Wifi
is turned on only when you need it.
I write a lot of documents on my Newton and even recently started doing
spreadsheets on it. Reading eBooks is the next most popular use , so a largish
screen is a must. A lot of smartphones are limited for me because you can only
do so much on a screen the size of a post-it.

Someone suggested an HTC Shift but the UMPC platform uses a full desktop OS
which doesn't provide "instant-on." The Shift tries to overcome this by
providing a crippled Windows Mobile shell. I don't know why they just don't
give you a full Windows Mobile implementation which allows you to switch to Win
XP whenever you want. Battery life on this device could also be problematic.

Cheers

Tony