Re: [NTLK] Another Newton feature now available for the iPhone

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 01:55:00 EDT

On Monday, October 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm Ed Kummel wrote:

> Yet another thing the iPhone announces
> that Windows Mobile has been doing for
> years...Along with an API that is freely
> available...

I had Windows Mobile v5 running on a HTC Star Trek Flip Phone. Loved that phone! Nicely designed. It definitely didn't do notes, nor did it do eMail... not like my Newton. Unless multi-press and T9 Predictive Text is something you would consider as a useful replacement for a keyboard and/or HWR.

As far as Text-To-Speech... sure it may have existed, but my experience with WinMo was: Not too much I wanted was ever "free." I had to pay good money for the apps I wanted. On average, Apps for my WinMo cost me a minimum of $10, and as much as $30 each. Needless to say, I only purchased apps I absolutely needed/wanted and only those in which I could justify the (high) cost... Especially for stuff I may not be using at the end of a two year contract.

Text-To-Speech for my WinMo was a no brainer. I already had it on my wireless Newton.

When contract time came, I had a choice... $200 for a refurb WinMo 6 or $75 for a refurb iPhone 3G. The choice was easy. WinMo NoMo, thank you very much. I've wanted an iPhone since they were first introduced at $400. Same with the Newton. I'm happy with my choices in devices over the years.

Bests...

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM