[NTLK] Geocities Sites gone in three days...

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 08:39:22 EDT

    In three days the wonder and free creative sites of Geocities sites will be no more.

    I've put up some interesting websites using Geocities. I think I've had them since 1997-ish? Anyway, I put up the site of making more Atari themes possible on the Newton, and made a bunch of Atari mods for the Newton. Even hosted the Atari font there for a while.

    Had my site about the possible Atari/Newton connection. A theory site.

    And other people put up cooky stuff up there as well. When it was free, you'd put anything out there.

    I have two questions:

    1) Who is going to miss these geocities sites, and what were your favorite sites?

    2) Do you know of a program (for the Mac) that I could look "geocities.com" and it would go through and archive all the geocities sites out there? :D

    I've got my site backed up, but figure I could always capture all the geocities sites to look at later. Much like I have an archive of all the early Newton sites. That was nice to keep around and sometimes fun to go through.

    Doc Clu