Re: [NTLK] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 19:49:31 EDT

Hi Larry:

Those are good comments. When I saw your Kindle 2, I was enamoured. The one thing to note is that wireless buys with the Kindle don't work outside the US. So for the rest of us, those features won't work (i.e. wireless purchases from Amazon, etc.).

Taking wireless access to book stores, etc. out of the equation, what we are left with is core functionality. Since the Kindles do not have stylus input or touchscreens, I have been leaning toward the Sony, since it has those features. Now, if the Kindle wireless access worked in say, Canada or Germany, I might think about buying the Kindle over the Sony. However, since the touchscreen is pretty much a necessity for me, the Kindle is not in the running, although I am still researching the Kindle DX.

At any rate, the reason I am steadfast on the touchscreen is that having stress tested all the Sony eReaders, I came to the conclusion that I just could not live without a touchscreen. And the stylus with notes is a great feature as well. Actually, after owning an iPhone for quite some time, using anything that does not have a touchscreen is hard to like...

Lastly, Sony really beefed up their syncing software, and opened the door to many file formats (rtf, PDF, MS Word, Open Office, etc.). This is good for someone like me who has tons of rtf and PDF files to read through: I rarely buy any books, and most of my material is free from blogs and other publications.

Having just tested the Sony PRS-600, I can say that I am pretty impressed. The screen is still a tad more blurry than the PRS-505 or Kindle, it is a touchscreen with a different plastic. But it is much improved over the PRS-700, and looks very good. After 20 minutes with it, I concluded that it is a breakthrough device. The design is excellent: it feels incredible in your hand. And the added rubber back is a very nice touch.

Sony really pushed the evolution on the touchscreen eReader with the PRS-600. $399 CAD, a bit pricey, but a best in class device next to the iRex in my opinion.

I hope this helps other listers out there looking into these devices.

Ryan