Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 15:18:16 EDT

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> You will see people at the cafe reading RSS feeds and other materials for hours on end.  Vertical markets... doctors, researchers, libraries, businesses...

Maybe, but a tablet without a keyboard is only half a computer. Worse,
unlike a laptop, you can't really rest it so easily on your lap or on
a table. You have to hold it--all the time. That's one of the facts
working against the tablet. Some people are willing to and able to
look over this, but unless there's something truly compelling, most
people won't. But the form factor is still the biggest limiter. Again,
this is something I know _I'm_ willing to deal with, but most people i
know are not willing. We geeks--gadget and gear heads tend to not
understand how "normal" people look on these things. That's one reason
why even the iPhone hasn't really broken through and normal phones
still rule.

And this is why I don't think we will see any tablet from Apple. The
compelling reason isn't there yet--and may never be. It's all just
wishful thinking--nothing more.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland