Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Chilton Webb <chilton_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 23:25:59 EDT

Hi Jon!

On Sep 10, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca
> > wrote:
>> You will see people at the cafe reading RSS feeds and other
>> materials for hours on end. Vertical markets... doctors,
>> researchers, libraries, businesses...
> Maybe, but a tablet without a keyboard is only half a computer. Worse,
> unlike a laptop, you can't really rest it so easily on your lap or on
> a table. You have to hold it--all the time.

You mean hold it like a book? I have so far not had any problems
holding books, or reading books that are placed on a flat surface. I
suspect it would matter how much it weighs.

One strike against laptops is airplane flight. Tablet users can use
their tablet very easily. For me to use my MacBook Pro on an airplane
these days, I end up with it folded into an awkward 'V' shape, with my
hands hunched over the keyboard like a giant fleshy praying mantis.
Even with an old 12" PowerBook, the screen just couldn't tilt far
enough back for me to be able to comfortably position the device for
typing, while being able to see the screen head-on. I'd take the
horrible nature of touch screen typing over the hand cramps I get from
using my MacBook on a flight, any day.

-Chilton