Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 02:55:06 EDT

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Pismos color fades,
>
> I'll be honest: the color fade is a new one on me.  I own more than one Pismo and fading isn't a problem with any of them, but then, I can't claim to subject them to direct sunlight all that often.  They are indoor machines for the most part, which may help to explain why I'm not familiar with that particular problem.

Actually, in my experience, it de-fades. My wife's Pismo, when you
first turn it on, shows a pink tone, and it's faded. Give it a couple
minutes, and it's nice and as bright as it's ever been.

Our two Pismos have been going literally non-stop since they were new.
My Pismo, in particular, has been brutalized. Sure it's plastic, and
yes, I've had to replace the sound in/out-power board, and I've done
other repairs to it, but I have truly brutalized it.

It has flown transcontinental multiple times, as well as
trans-Atlantic. It has gone in my car across the country multiple
times, and to my shame, has been known to fall out of the car when
I've opened the car door. It has gone to work with me on a daily basis
for 8 years, to boot. I have never, ever babied it. Both Pismos have
suffered coffee and soft-drink (pop for those who speak "proper"
English) spills, power surges, power sags, babies pounding on, and
pulling up keys. And my Pismo has survived bike crashes.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see many other computers surviving 8 or
9 years of this kind of abuse, and _still_ be going strong. Oh, and
both computer have been opened, and even stripped countless times
(mine more than my wife's). Guess what--no cracks to the cases. None.
Hinges still going strong. My Pismo, just recently has had one column
of keys go out on it--after 9 years of solid use. I don't think it's
ever been shut down more than a day, and that only recently, since I
got my Wind.

I do not normally get emotionally attached to things, but my Pismo has
been my Bud for 9 years. I highly doubt an Alu MBP could do this.
(besides, how does one "cuddle" aluminum?)

Not, mind you, that Apple makes junk now, but I think the Pismo was
special--and it has VGA, S-Video, 2 Firewire, 2 USB, Audio I/0,
Ethernet, PCMCIA, two hot-swappable battery bays, and one can hold a
CD, or DVD or floppy or Zip. BTW, both our yo-yo power supplies are
still going. I _have_ babied those. ;-)

The Pismo was a fortuitous convergence, and not likely ever to be
repeated. I don't think anybody makes laptops like the Pismo today,
that are both ruggedly functional and beautiful. I still think my
Pismo is beautiful after all these years.

(What's it doing now? I have two FW hard drives plugged in, and it's
our file and music server.)

>>the casing is too flexible which makes it prone to cracking along the >trackpad, etc.
>
> Agreed: the Pismo is noted for the case cracking just below the trackpad.

And I've seen cracking on most plastic laptops--but not our Pismos. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland