Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 05:12:38 EDT

Jon said:

"Actually, in my experience, it de-fades. My wife's Pismo, when you
first turn it on, shows a pink tone, and it's faded. Give it a couple
minutes, and it's nice and as bright as it's ever been."

Jon, were are not referring to the screen, but to the case plastics, particularly the palm rest. But the screen is also weak, and the backlight needs to be replaced every few years to keep it bright, or else it gets pretty dim.

Jon said:

"I'm sorry, but I really don't see many other computers surviving 8 or
9 years of this kind of abuse, and _still_ be going strong."

Many of them do. I have a 5300ce still going strong, and I still use it. I also have 2 PowerBook Wallstreets still going strong and they have not missed a beat. They are tougher than the Pismos: the best built Apple laptops next to the Mac Unibodies. The Clamshell iBook is also incredibly well built, with polycarbonate casing used on bullet proof vests...