[NTLK] How many Newtons were sold?

David Neale david.neale at telenet.be
Thu Apr 29 07:14:18 EDT 2010

This reminds me of Apple's attitude when I wanted to introduce Macs to
one of the institutions of the European Union, at about the end of the
1980s. They refused to offer any assistance, not even a couple of
demonstration models, telling me to go instead to dealers. Other
companies, such as HP and Olivetti were only too pleased to provide
all the assistance and demonstration models required. In the end (and
in spite of my conviction that the Macs were the best solution for
what we needed to do), the contract went to Olivetti and they supplied
over 400 PCs. As we were the first institution to set up a local area
network based on personal computers on such a large scale, we were
used as an example for other institutions of the EU. Heaven only knows
how many units Apple lost because of this attitude.

A few years later I proposed another project, this time based on
Newtons, which would have involved the immediate purchase of some 200
units, with further purchases as the expansion of the EU led to
increased membership of our consulting body. Again, Apple would offer
no assistance and dealers in Belgium were simply not up to providing
the necessary numbers, let alone the required technical information.

David