[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Sam Speake samspeake at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:23:43 EST 2010

Andrei Chichak wrote:
> As someone who writes code for a living, if someone did this to my code without asking, even if it was dormant for a while, I would hunt you down, find out where you live, and send out Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe to go medieval on you're a$$.

I thought I would stick my 2 pence worth in.

I work selling software Escrow for the largest Escrow provider in the world. For any one who is not sure what software Escrow is its basically insurance on source code (or on any information for that matter, blue prints, chemical formulas , etc.). The source code we hold for licensees is securely stored in a vault only to be released to the licensee in the event of a trigger event.

Apart from the obvious trigger being a software developer going out of business the other main one is failure to maintain. I don't care how big a developer is if the software is not being maintained then we will release the source code to a licensee to use as they intended to when they invested.

I know this is not the same as releasing serial numbers but developers failing to maintain their software or abandoning it is grounds in my book to let people use and appreciate the software.

--
Sincerely,
Sam