[NTLK] Fitaly keyboard is free CORRECTION

James Wages james at kiramek.com
Tue Jan 19 19:16:19 EST 2010

With all the recent talk about "free software" and hacks on this list, I
thought it would be quite appropriate to inquire about the Fitaly keyboard
again.  And while it has been nearly 7 months since I inquired before on
this list, no doubt some will still pounce on me (i.e., lecture me on the
merits of "further patience") for even daring to ask about it (as was the
case -- quite surprisingly -- the last time I inquired about it in June
2009).  But I am asking about it again to see if anyone has been successful
in obtaining it.  For it was mentioned on this list in early 2009 that it
was being given away due to the death of its creator.  And while I myself
sent email correspondence to the family, per the instruction on this list,
after 9 months of waiting, nothing is forthcoming.

If it is still considered freeware but it is no longer possible to contact
the family of the now deceased developer, I would then put forth the
question: is there a way for the Newton community (i.e., software engineers
among us) to reverse-engineer and serialize Fitaly keyboard?

If indeed the family officially announced the software is freeware and in
the public domain, it would seem logical that the method of serialization
would also be provided, such that the family would not need to burden
themselves with emailing serial numbers to every single Newton user on the
planet who contacts them.

And if the family is no longer reachable or is otherwise still expecting
"patience" after 9 months, this would appear to be yet another case of
"abandonware."

Sincerely,

James Wages