[NTLK] Modem setup

Andy Hill adhill at fastmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 13:26:10 EST 2010

Hi Mike

I have a dial up set up which I use on occasions and it works well using
a Virgin.com account which only requires user name and password to
access it and is 3p per minute.
I'm not sure if other providers have security measures which mean the
Newton can't access it?

(Apologies if you already know the following):

In the Internet set up for dial up you should see:

Protocol: PPP
Configuration: Server
User ID: whatever yours is - this also leads to the password screen.
Access number: 0844 etc
When closing: choose your option
Primary DNS: have you got at least one in there? My connection wont work
without it. for example 194.168.8.100. (On the Virgin website it has two
DNS options and I have found that only one seems to work well on the
Newton?)
Domain Name: None

You shouldn't really need any additional scripts, it should be
straightforward.

If you want to see your script working, go to your script screen and
check the 'display script activity'.

In Prefs - check that you have chosen the right card slot and
In Prefs - have you chosen the modem card in the 'Modem setup'?

Hope this helps.

Andy