[NTLK] Implant 2000 pictures

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Tue Jan 26 19:47:56 EST 2010

> I don't suppose anyone with an Implant-2000'ed Newton could take some
> nice high-res pictures of the front PCB. The pictures I have don't
> show enough detail to make out the IC's.

Hold your horses, folks.

Some time ago Oliver Harms from Pixsolution kindly gave away this information along with his
remaining (unpopulated) Implant 2000 boards. They are to be given to NewtonTalk members on a one per
person basis for the cost of shipping, provided that no profit is made with this.

I also have the complete documentation. I even bought all the components except for one quartz
generator that wasn't available back then. I have populating such a board on my to do list. Just
like about two million other things.

If you are interested in such a board or the documentation, drop me a line. I can't promise, though,
that I'll get around to taking care of your request within any reasonable amount of time because I'm
so bloody busy these days. Come to think of it, it's quite likely I'll NEVER find the time. But it
won't hurt to ask.

I do not have Oliver's permission to make this information available to the general public, so I
will only send it per E-Mail. And I will only send it to people who promise to neither pass it on to
anybody nor publish it in any form.

If I find you made a profit with this board, this will be the last thing I ever sent you. And you
should get used to the fact that from then on Neumuenster will no longer be a possible service point
for your broken Newton hardware. Or for any other kind of support. Apart from that, I will notify
this list.

If you copy, manufacture and sell this thing without Oliver's written permission, I will do the
afore-mentioned. Apart from that I will appear in your dreams on an unpredictable but pretty regular
basis. The unanimous opinion of all in whose dreams I'm currently appearing is that this is
something that should be avoided at all costs.

There's another person reading this list who has the other half of what Oliver so kindly gave away.
I know that this person is bloody busy, too, so I won't mention the name. But said person will
probably read this and speak up if he's willing to help people on the US side of the Atlantic.

Before you decide to tackle building your own implant, be aware that we are talking about tiny
surface-mounted components that require an extremely steady hand, extremely sophisticated soldering
equipment and soldering skills, along with a microscope to solder under. If you make a mistake,
chances are good that you'll kill your Newton for good.

Frank