[NTLK] My new serial cable

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:37:15 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/01/27 13:49, Goodwin, Greg P. at GoodwinG at aafes.com wrote ~~~

> You know as "high tech and advanced" as the Newton OS was often toated, and I
> agreed with that, my big beef was the transfer speeds with other devices.   15
> minutes to transfer a 4mb mp3 over a direct network link?   Please!!

Greg,

I agree the Newton is slower at data transfer than I'd like.   Last night I
finally downloaded 10Mb of e-books onto a card in my Newt, and used the time
that took to make myself a pot of Cypriot coffee.  Mmmmm!  When I returned,
mellow and happy, I had my books.  But it was slow!

But isn't that an inevitable function of the hardware?  After all, cpu speed
reads 162.2Mhz (unaccelerated), and that's going to bottleneck everything
and keep it all slow, right?  We're so used to Ferrari-F1 hardware nowadays,
and Newton Model A hardware can't keep up with that.

To me all that means is that "high tech and advanced" with regard to the
Newton is about things like design and functionality, rather than raw
processing performance.

I'm sure we all could wish for faster -- a wish Apple could grant instantly
by giving us the "iNewt2010" we've all been dreaming about for the last 12
years.

This tablet thingie better be good, but I won't hold my breath.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4