[NTLK] ipad

Mark Bock markbvt at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 15:58:05 EST 2010

On 1/28/10 3:08 PM, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:
> Again, Newton was self-contained more than decade ago: plug a GPS
> card into one of its slots, don't have to fiddle with two devices
> wired together.

Honestly, I don't care whether it's a GPS card inserted into a PC slot
or a module inserted into the dock connector. Any company that offers
such a device would presumably be smart enough to make it more elegant
than some sort of dongle attached by a wire. It's really not a major issue.

For that matter, it might be possible to use a Bluetooth GPS antenna.
Even better solution.

> Jobs is clearly scratching cell phone companies' backs limiting it to
> cell-based GPS.

Actually, that seems to be in question. I was reading an article that pointed out that the Location section on Apple's tech spec pages for the iPad and iPhone listed the same GPS info, leading to speculation that the GPS chipset is part of the cellular radio and therefore may well be present on the 3G model.

I guess we'll find out eventually...

--mark

. . . . .
mark bock
KB1EXL
markbvt at comcast.net

"A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in
three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his
grandmother every time, at a hundred."          --Mark Twain