[NTLK] iPad

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 11:14:41 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/01/30 06:26, Jim Lee at jimlee at centurytel.net wrote ~~~

>    You hit on one of my pet peeves.  I think that all restaurants and
> automobiles should be constructed as Faraday cages so that no cell
> phone will work in them.

When cell phones first started to become ubiquitous (remember the guy in the
shiny suit, sitting next to you on the train bellowing, "I'M ON THE TRAIN
... NO, ON THE TRAIN ..." loud enough to spill your tea?) I was half-way to
buying/building a gizmo that would jam the mobile signal for a radius of
something like 10 meters.  Then I found out that they're illegal and
stopped.

Since then I've seen a man on a cell phone lean over to the table next to
him and tell a woman and her kids to stop talking because he couldn't hear
the person on his phone over them.  Then he continued bellowing into his
phone.

It wasn't all bad.  I had the pleasure of a free double-dose of
schadenfreude when her husband came back.  All 6-foot-3-and-built-like-
the-proverbial-brick-outhouse of him.  I recognized him as one of the
forwards on a local rugby team.   I guess phone-guy did too, because he
ended his call really quickly and didn't stay for dessert.  As he left, the
wife said something to her husband, her husband looked over his shoulder at
the guy, and I just wallowed in the moment.

Rugby players trump mobile signal jammers, and they're legal.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4