[NTLK] [ANN] Patch 71J059 - Year 2010 Fix

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 11:42:58 EST 2010

James Wages wrote:
> I posted a detailed report to this list in Dec. 2009 about how I
> successfully applied the Y2010 patch to my Newton:
>
> http://lists.newtontalk.net/pipermail/newtontalk/2009-December/000552.html
>
> After patching I tested it (that was then 2009) and upon reset I was pleased
> to find that my Date/Time were still intact.
>
> Today was the first time I restarted my Newton since then.  I was shocked to
> see my Newton report Jan. 1, 2008 at 9:00PM upon reboot!  Today is January
> 31, 2010 (and I did it at 10:25AM).  So clearly this patch is not doing its
> job after all.  It is doing something though, obviously, since the date
> doesn't get set back to the mid-1990s like before.  But still, when I
> restart my Newton, I expect that my date and time will be maintained, and I
> had high hopes that the new patch would do that.
>
> I restarted several times, and my date/time always gets reset to Jan. 1,
> 2008 at 9:00PM.
>
> I searched the patch page and I see this is in fact a bug mentioned toward
> the bottom:
> http://40hz.org/Pages/Patch%2071J059
>
> What a miserable bug this is too.  I was so overjoyed this past December
> that the patch had eliminated that headache for me, and now I am back to
> square one.
>
> Since the bug hasn't been fixed yet, I am going to assume it never will be.
> In such a case, is this bug going to plague me all this year and then vanish
> from next year?  If so, I have something to look forward to.  If no, then I
> need to reach for my blood pressure medication again.

What a whiner. The fact that the MAJOR problem was fixed and that you
can STILL use your Newton in 2010 is not good enough for you, huh? Are
you so lazy you can't do a SIMPLE thing as set a date?

Thank you, Eckhart, for all the hard work you did to keep the Newton
viable in 2010 and beyond!

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney