[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Ryan newtontalk at me.com
Fri Mar 12 17:57:13 EST 2010

I really like the handwriting recognition on the Newton... kudos to
Larry on that. In today's world though, where most people are now
touch typists and with accurate speech recognition, handwriting is not
the preferred input.

Using soeech recognition, I can craft emails so much faster than
typing, which means it's hard to go back to something that is much
slower. HR is great for filling out forms and shorter things like
that, but with other built in technologies on the iPad, like
predictive text, etc., the importance of a stylus comes down to
graphic design applications.

And with a big, bright beautiful screen and large virtual keyboard, HR
does not have much of a place on the iPad.

What I would like to see on the iPad is data soups talking to each
other more, like the experience on the Newt. Right now it's a mess of
140,000 apps soon to be ported that don't really link into one
another. This is a major shortcoming with this platform as I am
concerned.

However, I don't really use any of those apps so I what I am excited
about is iWork, iBooks, Email, Safari, iPhoto and iTunes. It's going
to be great for music and video...

Thank you,

Ryan