[NTLK] OT: was C64 on app store? now Is IBM evil?

Goodwin, Greg P. GoodwinG at aafes.com
Wed Sep 22 13:07:11 EDT 2010

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, M. Horvat wrote:
> It was obvious even to a 12-year-old that IBM PCs were definitely not
> ready for home users or the classroom.  The over-priced behemoth sat on a
> desk while a vibrant trade in pirated C64 games and apps developed
> underground amongst the students.  Kids would come to school with
> shoeboxes full of napkin-sized disks and swap games. Made me wish I had a
> C64 which was like $500. (I mentioned TI99/4A because I'd gotten one on
> sale for $50 as TI abandoned the home computer. This 8-bit had some
> serious hardware flaws and not much software, but hey it was $50 including
> the cassette recorder.)

Wow... all this reading on the "IBM is evil" really brings back some great memories of how cool exchanging floppies of games at school used to be.  We had some Atari users at school, so I bought an Atari computer eventually.  Had a tape drive, which they were like "Uhhh.. we can't put games on that" (later methods were made to transfer disk games to cassette) and later I got a disk drive.  That was cool.

IBM computers at the time were known as powerful, yet boring.  They would have the storage space and speed, but that was about it.  Usually no graphics is what we saw from people that had them.  They were known as a cold, corporate machine.

So the Atari and Commodore users went on their way, calling the "BBS"s, playing the games, and continuing to war over which one was better.  (Atari).  :P

   .    .    Doc Clu (of...)
   )\,,/   ==PRISON BOARD BBS==
  /(- _O)      972-329-0781
 ( \____ )  telnet://rdfig.net