[NTLK] OT: was C64 on app store? now Is IBM evil?

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Wed Sep 22 13:39:52 EDT 2010

On 22/09/10 10:07PDT, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:

> Wow... all this reading on the "IBM is evil" really brings back some great memories of how cool exchanging floppies of games at school used to be.  We had some Atari users at school, so I bought an Atari computer eventually.  Had a tape drive, which they were like "Uhhh.. we can't put games on that" (later methods were made to transfer disk games to cassette) and later I got a disk drive.  That was cool.
>
> IBM computers at the time were known as powerful, yet boring.  They would have the storage space and speed, but that was about it.  Usually no graphics is what we saw from people that had them.  They were known as a cold, corporate machine.
>
> So the Atari and Commodore users went on their way, calling the "BBS"s, playing the games, and continuing to war over which one was better.  (Atari).  :P

When I finally decided to get my first computer, I had settled on a
Texas Instruments 99/4, but before I bought it TI went out of the
computer business. Later in late 1984/early 1985, at the Robinson
Barracks PX in Stuttgart Germany, I narrowed it down to either the Apple
IIc or the Macintosh. The IIc won because it came with a printer. The
next week I went back and bought the external Disk IIc. AppleWorks was
the first piece of software I ordered for it, though I picked up a copy
of Bank Street Writer to tide me over.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."