[NTLK] OT I need some advice on buying a Mac

Peter Fraser pjfraser at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 12:02:57 EST 2011

What's her budget?

A refurb iMac is the best bang for the buck (great large screen, power, and same warranty as a new unit), unless she needs the portability of a laptop.  If she needs a laptop get a 13" MacBook pro refurb and a larger third party external monitor for the cheapest setup.

Browse the apple store for refurbs by going down to the lower left hand side of the apple store page and clicking the Special Deals icon you find there. Check first thing each morning because they sell out to the east coast by the time the west coast is awake.

I've bought nothing but refurbs for almost 15 years and have never had a failure of any kind. It's like whatever was going to go wrong already has, been fixed by the factory, and sent back out to you at a great discount from new.

And all the software comes with it so that's your final cost. Creative Suite would be extra of course.  Use the money you'd spend on peecee antivirus stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

-- Peter
pjfraser at mac.com