[NTLK] OT I need some advice on buying a Mac

Ken Whitcomb ken at imageguild.com
Tue Feb 1 12:28:29 EST 2011

Hi Matt,
If budget is a primary factor, I would purchase an iMac, a Mac Mini,
or a MacBook. You'll have several choices of processor speed, RAM, and
storage space. I concur with the refurb recommendation earlier if
you're willing to take one off the shelf rather than build to order,
you can find some good pricing if you're willing to live with only a 1
year warranty, and a brown box as opposed to the retail 1 year
warranty and a white box with pictures on it. Hey, I guess the only
difference is the box and the price!

If your daughter is working as or aspires to work as a creative, then
it is worth mentioning that the Apple displays have different specs
than entry-price point displays sold in the pc market. There is a
difference that creatives (whether working with video, photos, or
vector art) will all attest to. IT people typically don't have the
eyes to see the difference so don't write the Apple displays off as
just over-priced eye candy. You can find comparable specs in displays
in non-Apple hardware, but you won't find a 24" for $180 either (like
I just saw at Tiger Direct this morning from an unmemorable
manufacturer).

If budget is not a consideration, the new Mac Pro is an amazing box of
performance, but bring your checkbook. To get the 12 core version you
need $5000 to get the base configuration. Excuse me, I was drooling a
bit there.

advice from Holland to Flint (all MI of course),

ken