[NTLK] connecting a Newton MP2000/2100 question

NewtonTalk Network newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 6 13:37:44 EDT 2011

Todd:

While I certainly applaud your desire to own and use not just one, but TWO Newtons (!!), I do feel the need to give you a bit of fair warning as to using them on the Internet.

You've mentioned that "I've heard reports that the MessagePad (with a wifi card) can browse the net and this would be neat if I don't have to spend the $$ for an iPad yet."

This sets off some red flares for me. Just be aware that the Newton web browsing experience is a far different one than one with a iPad (or any other iOS device, Mac or PC). Of course, there's no color...there will be no video, many pages will no open correctly (if at all), any pages rendered in Flash won't work, and many images won't show up. It will also take a long time to open most websites/pages.

If you were around and using a computer, say, in the early- to mid-90s...it's a lot like that, in monochrome.

Those of us that use the Newton regularly understand these limitations and (for the most part) accept them...it's the sheer joy of its use that makes us continue on with it.

Just my pair of red cents on this...having said all that, Please! Carry on.

Thanks,

--Forrest

Sent from my First Generation iPad