[NTLK] Installing new fonts?

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Tue Nov 29 16:03:32 EST 2011

On 2011-11-29, at 1:42 PM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

> So basically I'd be looking for pointers on what's required to package
> up a typeface that'll install and function correctly on NOS 2.x. Does
> anyone have suggestions or links to resources?

It's a bit of a convoluted process to describe, but I'd be willing to help on the packaging side. Newton fonts are TrueType format, but do not contain any outline data - only bitmaps and metrics.

You basically need to create a set of hand-tuned bitmaps for each font and use the Newton Font Tool (under System 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, or Classic) and produce a ResEdit-compatible resource file. The resources file is then compiled (along with other bits of metadata) into a package using NTK.

Like I said, it's convoluted ... (and this is the easy way to do it).

A slightly more "advanced" method of creating Newton fonts has been documented by Paul Guyot in this PDF:

http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Bowels/Newton_Fonts_How-To.pdf

g.

Grant Hutchinson

Interface Considerations. Feature Deprecation. Typography. Rawk.

http://splorp.com
http://mtile.us/splorp
http://flickr.com/splorp
http://twitter.com/splorp