[NTLK] Message pad 130

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Tue Apr 17 23:42:00 EDT 2012

On Apr 17, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Forrest Buffenmyer wrote:

> Interesting...so you would say that a MessagePad repair is much more
> difficult than an eMate hinge repair?

My soldering skills are at the 1960s Heathkit level not the 1990s
printed circuit board level.  My electronic skills are primitive.

> Understand, I am not at all questioning you. I don't own an eMate
> and have not even seen one in person. But, after having read the
> descriptions of Frank and others as to how to perform the hinge
> repair, I always thought it to be a pretty daunting task.

The hinge repair is mostly being careful and systematic so that things
don't get lost.  The four wires that are surface soldered to the logic
board have a mm of clear space around them so a reasonably steady hand
and a fine tipped temperature controlled soldering pencil makes quick
work of it.  Straightening a wound up clutch spring requires care and
fine tipped pliers that can grip firmly without misshaping the coil.
Repairing a severed display ribbon is beyond my skill level.

I've replaced burned out zener diodes on emates but the solder pad for
these are bigger than some of the components that Frank is replacing
on the 1x0 series logic boards.  I've also overlocked my own 2100 and
eMate, but I wouldn't offer this service because removing the original
crystal is risky.

> I've had my Newtons apart many times, even overclocked one of them.
> Right now I've got my little-used OMP apart due to a bad case of the
> "Jaggies"...anyone have any experience with that problem on this or
> similar model?

The archives are full of discussions about Jaggies and while it is
worth trying to clean out any dirt that may be between the digitizer
and the bezel.  The cure that I have found to be most effective is to
replace the digitizer.