[NTLK] Followup: I want to publish NewtonTalk since 2000 as text files and need some NewtonTalk digests

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 09:02:42 EST 2012

~~~ On 2012/01/09 12:37, Frank Gruendel at newtontalk at pda-soft.de wrote ~~~

> And now for something completely different...
>
> It has just crossed my mind that the plan to publish the digests as text
> files might not be such a good idea after all. Come to think of it, I am
> astonished that nobody threatened to kill me. There would be thousands of
> E-Mail addresses in these files which would be easy prey for spammers.

And THAT'S how much we trust you, Frank.  For my own part, I thought about
it briefly, but just assumed you'd already decided on a means to remove or
bork the addresses.  But as it happens, you've thought of it now, still
before it's too late.

And that's another reason why you need to sleep more than once a month.  ;-)

Noting Ebrahim's suggestion about Find & Replace, you could always enhance
that by targeting the "@" plus the phrase attached after it, using whatever
wildcard system your text editor offers to indicate that you want to
eliminate the ISP name as well as the "@".  You'll have to test it on
different text editors:  some I've tried simply won't do wild-card searches.
I tried it in my version of Word (2004 for Mac), creating a document and
saving it as plain-text, and although it'll search for "@", it refuses to
search for "@" if the wild card option is checked, calling it an "invalid
parameter".  I suppose you could always search for "@" by itself but replace
it with something unhelpful like "NOISPNOWGOAWAY " but that still leaves the
original ISPs recoverable by a batch process, unless you delete by hand.

But I wouldn't use Word's cranky deficiencies to judge by -- it just
happened to be handy.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke