[NTLK] Newton Connection Apps

Simon Bell simonbell at me.com
Thu Jul 25 11:58:05 EDT 2013

It has been rather quiet here on NewtonTalk lately, so I hope there is somebody about to answer my query.

I am trying to put together a definitive list of Newton connection apps, specifically charting which app targets which Newton OS / protocol version. My list so far:

Newton Connection Kit (NCK)	v 1.0	released ?
Protocol: 1
Functions: sync, restore, install

Newton Connection Kit (NCK)	v 2.0	released ?
Protocol: 2
Functions: sync, restore, install

Newton Package Installer (NPI)	v 1.1	released June 20, 1994
Protocol: 1
Functions: install package only

Newton Backup Utility (NBU)	v 1.0	released January 25, 1996
Protocol: 2
Functions: backup, restore, install

Newton Connection Utilities (NCU)	v 1.0	released May 13, 1997
Protocol: 2
Functions: synchronise, backup, restore, install, import, export, keyboard passthrough

Can anybody correct / add to this list? The more recent(!) apps are still available in Apple’s archive <http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#newton> but I can’t find the older ones. I guess it might be useful to know of any differences between Mac / Windows version of each app (if they existed) too.

Thanks for your time,

Simon