[NTLK] was: Firstly, hello! now: battery packs

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 6 23:51:33 EST 2013

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:36 PM, James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, when you say "replacement rechargeable pack," are you still using the original Apple rechargeable battery packs (i.e the packs you own have not been re-celled)?
>
> I ask because you might be able to help clear up a minor mystery.

James,

Allow me to jump in here and address your above comment.

I purchased an MP2100 from eBay a few years ago...and with it came an original NiMH battery pack.

While most of these usually show obvious signs of corrosion, either externally or with bulging areas of the case, this one did not. In fact, it accepted a charge and I am presently using it now.

It did take a few attempts before it would charge...at first there was the "preliminary charge" for more than an hour, then "this battery is not usable," or words to that effect. I could measure a charge on my voltmeter, so I kept trying. For the second attempt it didn't give me the "unusable" message, it just didn't charge. The third time it charged to 100%, and it took several days before it ran back down again.

I mention this only in reference to "clear[ing] up a minor mystery."

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place." --Douglas Adams

•www.broodcoffeetalk.wordpress.com--Thoughts, observations, ideas…stuff to brood over
•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer