[NTLK] Japanese on an eMate 300

streams at fastmail.fm streams at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 15 06:19:51 EST 2015

A friend recently gave me their eMate 300 (already washer-reinforced and
even the battery tray has been replaced with one supporting standard AA
batteries)! I’ve been getting used to the idiosyncrasies of Newton OS
and I have to say I’m quite liking it.

I’d like to use this eMate to take notes in my Japanese class,
however, Newton OS doesn’t seem to support Japanese out of the box.
I’ve searched around on the Web and found that there are packages for
Newton OS adding support for Japanese input (including handwriting
recognition) as well as Japanese fonts.

See:
http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/newton/Radicals/ (bottom of page)
https://web.archive.org/web/19990428144431/http://www.orient.co.jp/%7Etmurai/freeware/newton/newton.html
http://www.enfour.co.jp/newton/software/

The packages by Enfour seem to be the most complete and polished,
however, I see no way to purchase them from the website. In their
Support section, they actually do have links to download those same
packages for adding Japanese support to Newton OS here:
http://www.enfour.co.jp/newton/support/get_pkg.html

but from what I understand, they are just updates and probably require
the full versions on the CDs to install (I could be completely wrong
about this though due to my lack of knowledge about Newton OS—does
Newton OS have support for updating packages already installed like
I’m suggesting to begin with?). At the very least though, it seems the
NLK package may not require the packages on the CD (at least, that’s
what I gather with my limited Japanese ability), and all the other
packages listed there do list the NLK package as a dependency, but I
have no way to attempt to install it at the moment since I don’t yet
have the required serial cable to connect the eMate to my Mac.
(I tried installing the NLK package in the Einstein emulator as a test,
but I get the following error during installation:
http://f.cl.ly/items/3R2b2U3t1y3Y2J1r3K0p/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-11%20at%203.58.11%20AM.png
)

I’ll probably have to buy the cable anyway, but it’s quite expensive
right now, so I was hoping someone here could attempt to install the NLK
package linked above on their actual Newton device and let me know if it
installed without issue before I go ahead with purchasing the cable.
Also, if those packages linked there really aren’t full versions and
require the CD, then does anyone know where I can get it? I have
searched around and found things like this:
http://ohshima.net/newton/koredake.html

but even if it’s still possible to get it, I doubt that they’ll want
to ship it all the way to North America!

In any case, thanks in advance!