[NTLK] Keyboard not working on 2x00 through serial port adapter?

Matej Horvat matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si
Sun Aug 28 15:19:34 EDT 2016

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:05:51 +0200, Jim Witte <jim.witte at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to start poking around in TKeyboardTool
> again to see how it injects keypresses into the OS (I know it’s a
> SendRPCGoo with an event classes ’newt’, ‘idle, ‘keyb’, but don’t know
> the structure of the thing it sends in, or how the modifiers work.

I don't know how keyboard input is implemented on the OS side, but here's
an overview of the protocol used by the Newton Keyboard:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041122135831/http://www.enlight.ru/docs/newt/newt_kbd_protocol.txt

Note: this is from a German keyboard, which has keys arranged slightly
differently compared to an English one.

The key codes are a subset of those of the Apple Extended Keyboard II; see
page 326 of the PDF of the Newton Programmer's Guide for Newton 2.0.

Matej