[NTLK] Newton gateway idea

Randy Glenn randy.glenn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:40:44 EST 2016

I had been thinking about something like this for the eMate. Some sort of
serial PCMCIA card that hooks up to a tiny Linux machine - one serial port
to a PPP server, and the other to a terminal for configuration and fixing
things. That gets you Internet access via NIE fairly easily, I think - and
then you can explore proxy servers running on the Linux chip for things
like encryption. Also, you could VNC into the Linux machine for a Web
browser.

Going with a Type III PCMCIA card form factor should allow space for a
Linux system and the serial hardware, while still fitting into an eMate. A
Pi Zero might fit in that form factor.

Actually pulling it off is another matter entirely, of course - a lot of
PCMCIA stuff is now end-of-life.