[NTLK] Newton gateway idea

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Fri Jan 8 23:37:39 EST 2016

> On 9 Jan 2016, at 03:40, Randy Glenn <randy.glenn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had been thinking about something like this for the eMate. Some sort of
> serial PCMCIA card that hooks up to a tiny Linux machine - one serial port
> to a PPP server, and the other to a terminal for configuration and fixing
> things. That gets you Internet access via NIE fairly easily, I think - and
> then you can explore proxy servers running on the Linux chip for things
> like encryption. Also, you could VNC into the Linux machine for a Web
> browser.

Back in the day, there were PCMCIA serial cards from a company called “Socket Communications” (I think?) that were supported out-of-the-box by NOS.  A quick search suggests that some form of that company still exists selling mobile-related stuff, so it might be possible to get a hold of their cards.  But I *think* they were really just low-power, 16550-compatible, basic serial/UART cards.  So it *might* be pretty easy to build a PCMCIA card with a suitable UART chip that works with NOS without any additional effort.

I used to use NIE’s PPP to a Linux box on a regular basis, and my recollection is that it worked without any real issues.

Rather than requiring two serial ports, once you’ve got PPP running, you can use PT100 to telnet into the Linux box.  My plan was a expose configuration through an old-skool HTML-2/HTTP-1.0 web site that could be easily grokked by NetHopper …

If you wanted to get fancy, shipping serialized NewtonScript frames back and forth over TCP might make native application development pretty simple too.

> Going with a Type III PCMCIA card form factor should allow space for a
> Linux system and the serial hardware, while still fitting into an eMate. A
> Pi Zero might fit in that form factor.

Type III rules out the MP2k’s, so I was hoping to get a Type II (ie. 5mm high) form factor to work.

> Actually pulling it off is another matter entirely, of course - a lot of
> PCMCIA stuff is now end-of-life.

Yes.  So the next year or so is probably a critical time to buy EOLed components if it’s ever going to be possible.