[NTLK] Newton gateway idea

Elias Basse kd5jfe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:52:36 EST 2016

The image is just debian so it can be moved to rpi very easily.

Once a desktop environment and x11 lives on your card, you install tight
vnc server and run a special command to start it at 8 bits with a screen
resolution that prevents the need to scroll in vnc on the newt.

Simply login to a stock debian image and run
apt-get install lxde
Apt-get install tightvncserver
Then tightvncserver command to start a new screen which will have you set a
password for the server.

Use raw, 1 second refresh settings for best results on vnc in the newt.

The writeup is at my blog on www.basse.me which has exact commands.

Run the browser of your choice (ice weasel is default in lxde)

Then you are golden.

The setup I use is the two router setup with wep for the newt and plug it
into a network port on the router.

This allows a more secure jump box as the pi to the open internet.
Supports ssl and html5 with the browser too.

Alternately if I can get it going, I will add a wifi radio as well.

Best Regards