[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri Sep 16 16:47:16 EDT 2016

I really don't care about the manufacturer of the NewtonOS Einstein host hardware. Or the underlying operating system for that matter. Einstein on a mobile device is supposed to make me forget about the host OS and have a perfect NewtonOS experience.

Paul wrote Einstein originally on OS X. After he opened the sources, we ported it to MSWindows one night in Japan (sounds like a song title ;-). The first mobile port was mobile Linux using X11, then iOS (in the rough), then Android. I stopped the iOS development because my iOS knowledge is very limited, but mainly because Apple charged a yearly fee of $100 for developers, yet did not allow Einstein in the Apple store, making it impossible to run Einstein on unmodified iOS devices.

My focus on Android was mostly based on Apple's refusal to allow this free and open emulator on their machines. Samsung released the only available smart phone with a functioning pen with the Galaxy Note, which made it the obvious first choice for a replacement hardware.